Our Undergraduate Courses
Undergraduate study in Civil and Structural Engineering.
- We don't ask for a science A level.
- 100% of our students went into graduate-level jobs or further study according to the latest Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey (2016/17).
- We're ranked 44th in the world and 5th in the UK according to the QS World University rankings by subject (2019).
- We're 9th in the UK according to the Times (2019).
- We're 7th in the UK according to the Complete University Guide (2019).
- We're in the top 4 in the UK for research excellence (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- You get to take part in our unique, award-winning Integrated Design Project.
As a civil engineer you can literally change the world; developing bridges, tunnels, structures and sustainable buildings, providing water supplies, controlling pollution or responding to natural disasters. With a degree in this field you can watch your work impact positively on people's lives every day. Earn that degree at the University of Sheffield and you'll develop your skills alongside the best. We'll equip you to approach problems with sustainability in mind, so your projects will be future-proof – and so will your career.
Housed in the University's flagship Diamond building, our innovative facility, The iForge, is giving students the opportunity to collaborate, create and 'make' outside of their academic studies.
Housing a wide range of equipment, from traditional hand tools and a sewing machine to state-of-the-art laser cutters and 3D printers, the possibilities for what can be made in the iForge are limitless.
Want to know more?
Watch our video to find out what Civil and Structural Engineering actually is, and who is leading the way.
Our teaching is based on the latest world-leading research.
With our department's friendly, approachable staff on hand to help, you'll have all the support you need.
Develop a strong grounding in the core disciplines of structures, water and geotechnical engineering, or mix these subjects with options like modern languages, mechanical engineering and architecture. See our range of courses to learn more.
Our international reputation for research and teaching attracts students from all over the world. There are currently students and staff from 46 countries in our department.
We're proud of our strong links with industry. The experience and expertise of leading consultants, contractors and specialist engineers feed directly into your degree.
With 25 per cent female students and eight women among our academic staff, there's a stronger gender balance here than in many other engineering departments.