The History of the Sheffield School of Architecure
The University of Sheffield School of Architecture first opened its doors at the beginning of 1908, shortly after the university was founded, and took up its place in the tower of Firth Court. The essential founder was Edward Gibbs of Flockton and Gibbs, the University’s first architects. Started with the help of the Sheffield Society of Architects, the school at first served largely to train the sons and personnel of local firms, and remained very small until the Second World War, run from 1928 to 1957 by Stephen Welsh, a Liverpool graduate under Charles Reilly.
In the post war period it saw a huge expansion, bringing in students not just from across the nation but across the world. The Firth Court Tower rooms were soon abandoned in favour of the Sunday School in Shearwood Road, then in 1965 it moved into the upper floors of the new Arts Tower. This accompanied the development of a Faculty of Architectural Studies embracing Town Planning, Landscape and Building Science, which lasted until recently the school moved to Social Sciences. Over the remainder of the century the school grew in size and reputation, producing many distinguished alumni.
Its good reputation among students and its strong research record have assured it a consistent place among the top schools in the country.
Professor Peter Blundell Jones