Dr Andreas Rühmkorf
Position: Lecturer in Commercial Law
Email Address: A.Ruhmkorf@sheffield.ac.uk
Telephone: +44 (0)114 222 6701
Room No: AF20b
I am a Lecturer in Commercial Law and I am a qualified German lawyer, holding the First and Second State Exam. I graduated from the University of Münster and I gained an LLM in International, Commercial and European law at the University of Sheffield. I was also awarded my PhD from the University of Sheffield. I have lectured at Sheffield since January 2008. I started as DAAD Lecturer in German Law (Fachlektor) and in 2013 I was appointed to a lectureship in commercial law.
My teaching and research interests are Corporate Law, Corporate Social Responsibility, Internet Law (E-Commerce and Privacy) as well as Comparative Law. My current research focusses on the legal aspects of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). I am particularly interested in the role of the home state of multinational enterprises in promoting greater CSR in global supply chains. In 2015, my book ‘Corporate Social Responsibility, Private Law and Global Supply Chains’ was published by Edward Elgar. In my research, I also take an interest in corporate governance, often with a comparative point of view.
I am programme director of the LLB Law (European & International) at the School of Law. I am also a visiting lecturer at the University of Münster in Germany.
- Ph.D, University of Sheffield
- Assessor juris (Qualified German lawyer), Second State Exam in law, Federal state of North Rhine Westphalia
- LL.M in International, Commercial and European law (Distinction), University of Sheffield
- First State Exam in law, Higher Regional Court of Hamm (Germany)
- Dipl.jur. University of Münster (Germany)
Teaching and Learning
I teach a variety of modules at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. My teaching draws on my research interests. I encourage my students to critically reflect on the policies behind the law and to locate the legal issues within their social, economic and political context. As law is becoming increasingly international in a globalised world, I often include comparative perspectives into my teaching. This enables my students to compare and to critically reflect on different approaches.
In my seminars, I include a variety of tasks such as research-tasks, group discussions, debates and group presentations. Students gain transferable skills such as communicative skills, group work skills and research skills.
In May 2014, I won the Students’ Union Best Personal Tutor award in the University of Sheffield and in 2015 I was again shortlisted for this award.
The modules I teach are:
|Undergraduate||Postgraduate and MA|
|Principles of Comparative Law (Convenor)||Legal Research and Writing Skills (Convenor)|
|Introduction to Comparative Law (Convenor)||Comparative Corporate Governance|
|The Law Relating to Public Companies||E-Commerce Law (Convenor)|
|Law School Without It No Success (WINS)||Internet Privacy (Convenor)|
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Company Law and Corporate Governance (European and Comparative)
- Internet Law (E-Commerce and Privacy)
- Comparative Law
I am a member of the Institute for Commercial Law Studies and the Sheffield Centre for International and European Law research clusters.
Areas of Research Supervision
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Company Law (European and Comparative)
- Internet Law (E-Commerce and Privacy)
Recent Invited Papers and Keynote Lectures
- Rühmkorf, A & LeBaron, G, ‘Bargaining for Private Regulation: Industry, NGOs, and the State in the Construction of ‘Modern Slavery’ Governance’, Faculty of Social Sciences Research Conference 2015, University of Sheffield, 17th September 2015
- Rühmkorf, A, 'Regulating corporate power in global supply chains: The regulatory function of the home state', Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference, University of York, 3rd September 2015
- Rühmkorf, A & McCall-Smith, K, ‘CSR and Global Supply Chain Management’ at ‘Discerning systemtic functionality and global values in international law’, University of Edinburgh, 8-9th July 2015
- Rühmkorf, A, 'Promoting Corporate Social Responsibility in global supply chains’ at ‘Reinventing Corporate Accountability after Rana Plaza’, London School of Economics and Political Science, 23rd June 2015
- Rühmkorf, A, 'Promoting Corporate Social Responsibility in global supply chains: Towards a hybrid regulatory approach', C(I)RC - Corporate (Ir-)Responsibility and its Consequences in a Globalised World, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, 21st February 2015
- Rühmkorf, A, 'Trends and developments in the UK Higher Education System', Conference of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in Cumberland Lodge (Windsor Great Park), 16th December 2014
- Rühmkorf, A., 'The promotion of human rights in supply chain contracts – From rhetoric to enforceable rights?', Human Rights Forum, University of Sheffield, 11th December 2013
Professional Activities and Recognition
- Contributing Editor of Shawcross and Beaumont on Air Law (LexisNexis) (2013 - to date) updated twice a year.
- Andreas' work on the liability of online auction portals for third party auctions was cited by the Advocate General Jääskinen in his opinion on the reference for a preliminary ruling from the English High Court to the European Court of Justice in the case L'Orèal v eBay. The Advocate General cited two articles written by Andreas which discuss diverging approaches of different Member States on this issue: "eBay on the European Playing Field: A Comparative Case Analysis of L'Orèal v eBay", (2009) 6 (3) SCRIPTed A Journal of Law, Technology and Society, 685-701 and "The liability of online auction portals: Toward a Uniform Approach?" (2010) 14 (4) The Journal of Internet Law, 3-10.
- External Examiner, University of York LLM in International Corporate & Commercial Law
- Member of the Anglo-German jurists association
- Rühmkorf A (2015) Corporate social responsibility, private law and global supply chains.
- Rühmkorf A (2018) Corporate Social Responsibility in der Lieferkette: Governance und Verantwortlichkeiten. Zeitschrift für Unternehmens- und Gesellschaftsrecht (ZGR), 47(2-3), 410-432. View this article in WRRO
- Lebaron G & Rühmkorf A (2017) The domestic politics of corporate accountability legislation: struggles over the 2015 UK Modern Slavery Act. Socio-Economic Review. View this article in WRRO
- LeBaron G & Rühmkorf A (2017) Steering CSR Through Home State Regulation: A Comparison of the Impact of the UK Bribery Act and Modern Slavery Act on Global Supply Chain Governance. Global Policy, 8(S3), 15-28. View this article in WRRO
- Ruehmkorf A (2016) Corporate Social Responsibility in supply chain management. Anwaltsblatt. View this article in WRRO
- Du Plessis J & Rühmkorf A (2015) New trends regarding sustainability and integrated reporting for companies: what protection do directors have?. Company Lawyer, 36(2), 51-64. View this article in WRRO
- Rühmkorf A (2014) Ratemylegalrisk.com – The Legality of Online Rating Sites Relating to Individuals in Data Protection Law. Intellectual Property Forum(96), 55-67. View this article in WRRO
- Rühmkorf A (2011) The skills of a lawyer and a linguist. The LL.B Law with German Degree at the University of Sheffield. Deutsch lehren und lernen(44), 3-5.
- Rühmkorf A (2010) The liability of online auction portals: Toward a Uniform Approach?. The Journal of Internet Law(4), 3-10.
- Rühmkorf A (2010) Displease Sir: Teacher Rating Legality. Computers & Law(5), 20-22.
- Rühmkorf A (2009) eBay on the European Playing Field: A Comparative Case Analysis of L'Oréal v eBay. SCRIPTed A Journal of Law, Technology and Society(3), 685-701.
- McCall-Smith K & Rühmkorf A (2018) Reconciling Human Rights and Supply Chain Management through Corporate Social Responsibility In Ruiz Abou-Nigm V, McCall-Smith K & French D (Ed.), Linkages and Boundaries in Private and Public International Law (pp. 147-173). Hart View this article in WRRO
- Rühmkorf A (2018) From Transparency to Due Diligence Laws? Variations in Stringency of CSR Regulation in Global Supply Chains in the ‘Home State’Of Multinational Enterprises In du Plessis J, Varottil U & Veldman J (Ed.), Globalisation of Corporate Social Responsibility and its Impact on Corporate Governance Springer
- Rühmkorf A (2017) The United Kingdom In du Plessis J (Ed.), Disqualification of Company Directors: A Comparative Analysis of the Law in the UK, Australia, South Africa, the US and Germany (pp. 32-68). Routledge
- Rühmkorf A (2017) Germany In du Plessis J & Jeanne Nel de Koker (Ed.), Disqualification of Company Directors: A Comparative Analysis of the Law in the UK, Australia, South Africa, the US and Germany (pp. 173-199). Routledge
- Rühmkorf A (2017) Global sourcing through foreign subsidiaries and suppliers: Challenges for Corporate Social Responsibility In De Jonge A & Tomasic R (Ed.), Research Handbook on Transnational Corporations Edward Elgar View this article in WRRO
Website content (OLD)
- Rühmkorf A (2015) Global supply chains: the role of law? A role for law!.