We run an extensive international exchange programme with a vast number of partner universities across the globe. The programme provides an excellent opportunity for School of Law students to study abroad and students from our partner universities to study at the University of Sheffield.
Our programme is one of the biggest and best in the country; sending a large number of our students abroad each year and welcoming visiting exchange students to Sheffield.
All of our undergraduate students have the opportunity to study abroad for a year as part of their course.
For some degrees, a year abroad is a compulsory part of the degree:
- LLB Law (European and International) – study law abroad in English, and you'll be given priority for destination choice from any one of our partner institutions.
- LLB Law (with Spanish Law) – study in Spanish at one of our partner universities in Spain.
- LLB Law with (Chinese Law) - study in English at one of our partner universities in China.
If you study LLB Law, LLB Law and Criminology or BA Criminology you can apply during your second year to study abroad in your 3rd year, returning to complete your degree at Sheffield in year 4.
You don't have to decide right now, and there are always plenty of destinations to go to. Once you begin your studies with us you'll be invited to attend our study abroad information sessions.
Benefits of studying abroad
Benefits of studying abroad include
- insight into another legal system
- better employment prospects
- better degree performance
- increased cultural awareness
- personal development
- hone linguistic skills (for those on Law with French/Spanish/German Law)
- networking and making lifelong friends
Incoming exchange students
Our established exchange programme allows overseas students studying at our partner institutions to come to the School of Law to study for a semester or a year.
To apply, you must be nominated to us by your Home Institution.
Please note: Our partnerships with the institutions listed below are reviewed annually, may be subject to change and are not guaranteed. This list is an example of destinations that students have had the opportunity to go to in previous academic years.
- LLB Law, LLB Law (European and International), LLB Law and Criminology
- Griffith University
- Brisbane Monash University, Melbourne
- University of Tasmania
- Australian National University (ANU) *
- Shandong University
- Sun Yat-Sen University
- Beijing Normal University
- Tsinghua Law School
- The University of Fudan
- The University of Wuhan
Hong Kong SAR
- Jindal Global Law University
- National Law University Delhi
- West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences
- Groningen University
- Radboud University, Nijmegen
- Tilburg University
- Utrecht University
- Vrije University, Amsterdam
* Australian National University (ANU), City University Hong Kong and University College Cork are currently only open to BA Criminology students. Remaining places will be opened to LLB Law and Criminology students.
- LLB Law (with Chinese Law)
- LLB Law (with Spanish Law)
- BA Criminology
Hong Kong SAR
Sheffield students on optional year abroad programmes (this excludes courses with a compulsory year abroad), may be required to show a 2:1 potential following their first year results for selected destinations. Students are notified which current destinations require a 2:1 minimum, during the first semester of year 2.
The University and other external sources offer a range of funding opportunities for eligible students studying a year abroad.
If you have additional questions about the School of Law study abroad programme please contact email@example.com or visit us at one of our undergraduate open days.
Search for a course
Use our search to find the right course for you.