Dr Kayode Akintola
School of Law
Lecturer in Corporate Insolvency Law
Deputy Director of Education
Deputy Director of Sheffield Institute of Corporate and Commercial Law (SICCL)
+44 114 222 6845
Full contact details
School of Law
I joined the School of Law, University of Sheffield in September 2022. Prior to this, I was a Lecturer in International Commercial Law at Lancaster University Law School. I am also a commercial barrister, called to the bar in Nigeria and England and Wales. My research, teaching, practice and consultancy interests lie in Corporate Law, particularly Corporate Finance and Corporate Insolvency Law. Since 2019, I have served as consultant to the UK Insolvency Service to examine, reform and propose insolvency legislation that affects creditors in UK corporate insolvency proceedings. My research for the government agency on the use of fee estimates by insolvency practitioners formed a vital part of the evidence base for the impact assessment of the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020.
I am currently conducting research into the normative framework of companies and how this fits the structuring, financing and insolvency/restructuring needs of companies operating in modern society.
- PhD, University of Nottingham
- LLM in Corporate Law, University College London
- Research interests
- Corporate insolvency
- Corporate restructurings
- Corporate finance mechanisms
- Debt finance and secured transactions regimes
- Corporate control and corporate governance structures
- International commercial arbitration
- Principles of Commercial Law. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Creditor Treatment in Corporate Insolvency Law. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- THE EUROPEAN RESTRUCTURING DIRECTIVE. Insolvency Intelligence, 34, 78-80.
- Pro-Commerce Outlooks: The Bane of English Corporate Insolvency Law. Insolvency Intelligence, 34(1).
- The rise, fall and potential for a rebirth of receivership in UK corporate law. Journal of Corporate Law Studies, 20(1), 99-119.
- Liquidator’s Appointment in Voluntary Winding Up: Can we validly dispense with floating chargee notice?. International Company and Commercial Law Review, 29, 632-639.
- The proposed preferential priority of prepaying consumers: a fair pack of insolvency recommendations?. Journal of Business Law, 2018(1), 1-14.
- The prescribed part for unsecured creditors: a pithy review. Insolvency Intelligence, 30, 55-58.
- What is left of the floating charge? an empirical outlook. Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, 30(7).
- The Use and Abuse of Corporate Insolvency Rescue Procedures: A Contextual Evaluation of the United Kingdom and Cyprus In Gant JLL (Ed.), Party Autonomy and Third Party Protection in Insolvency Law INSOL Europe
Conference proceedings papers
- Research group
I welcome proposals for postgraduate supervision in all aspects of corporate and commercial law. Proposals in the following areas are especially welcome:
- Corporate Insolvency Law
- Corporate Restructuring Law
- Corporate Finance Law
- Corporate Governance
- Teaching activities
- The Law Relating to Public Companies
- Law of Obligations
- Corporate Social Responsibility and the Law
- Professional activities and memberships
Deputy Director of the Sheffield Institute of Corporate and Commercial Law (SICCL)
- Research Consultant, The Insolvency Service
- Member, UK Secured Transactions Law Reform Project (Secured Debt Enforcement and Insolvency Working Group)
- Winner, Insolvency Lawyers’ Association Academic Forum Competition