Dr Hossein Olya
Research Development Director for Marketing & CCI
Senior Lecturer in Consumer Behaviour
+44 114 222 3303
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
Dr. Hossein Olya is a Senior Lecturer in Consumer Behaviour and Director of Research Development for Marketing and CCI at the Sheffield University Management School, The University of Sheffield, United Kingdom (UK).
His research has a dual focus: consumer behaviour and tourism marketing with a focus on complexity theory.
In the last three years, Dr Olya had over 40 academic publications including 4* and 3* journals with high impact factors.
He is currently serving as associate editor of the International Journal of Consumer Studies and the Service Industries Journal and as an editorial board member for other peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of Vacation Marketing and International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
He is a regularly invited speaker at many prestigious international conferences in Italy, South Korea, Cyprus, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Africa and the UK.
- Research interests
- Consumer behaviour
- sustainable management
- tourism climate
- Towards advancing theory and methods on tourism development from residents’ perspectives : developing a framework on the pathway to impact. Journal of Sustainable Tourism.
- Control mechanisms, management orientations, and the creativity of service employees : symmetric and asymmetric modeling. Journal of Business Research.
- Couchsurfing involvement in non-profit peer-to-peer accommodations and its impact on destination image, familiarity, and behavioral intentions. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 44, 131-142. View this article in WRRO
- Stimulating satisfaction and loyalty: transformative behaviour and Muslim consumers. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(9), 2903-2923.
- Hotels’ sustainability practices and guests’ familiarity, attitudes and behaviours. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. View this article in WRRO
- The medical tourism index and behavioral responses of medical travelers: A mixed-method study. Journal of Travel Research. View this article in WRRO
- Guest editorial. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(4), 1385-1391. View this article in WRRO
- Failure of play on asset disposals and share buybacks : application of game theory in the international hotel market. Tourism Management, 77. View this article in WRRO
- Canal boat tourism : application of complexity theory. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 53. View this article in WRRO
- Airbnb and taxation: Developing a seasonal tax system. Tourism Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Determinants of canal boat tour participant behaviours: an explanatory mixed-method approach. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 37(1), 112-127. View this article in WRRO
- Engaging visitors of science festivals using augmented reality: asymmetrical modelling. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(2), 769-796. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of airport green atmospherics on mental health value, image, and loyalty among visitors and workers. Business Strategy and the Environment. View this article in WRRO
- Behavioral responses of 3S tourism visitors : evidence from a Mediterranean island destination. Tourism Management Perspectives, 33. View this article in WRRO
- Determination of Suitable Regions for Cultivation of Three Medicinal Plants under a Changing Climate. Environmental Processes, 7(1), 89-108.
- Understanding the influence of airport servicescape on traveler dissatisfaction and misbehavior. Journal of Travel Research. View this article in WRRO
- Festival quality, self-connection, and bragging. Annals of Tourism Research, 76, 239-252. View this article in WRRO
- Antecedents of Space Traveler Behavioral Intention. Journal of Travel Research. View this article in WRRO
- Exploring halal-friendly destination attributes in South Korea: Perceptions and behaviors of Muslim travelers toward a non-Muslim destination. Tourism Management, 71, 151-164. View this article in WRRO
- What are the triggers of Asian visitor satisfaction and loyalty in the Korean heritage site?. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 47, 195-205. View this article in WRRO
- Tackling the Complexity of the Pro-environmental Behavior Intentions of Visitors to Turtle Sites. Journal of Travel Research, 58(2), 313-332.
- Decoding behavioural responses of green hotel guests: A deeper insight into the application of the theory of planned behaviour. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. View this article in WRRO
- Tourism climate insurance: implications and prospects. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 24(4), 269-280. View this article in WRRO
- A call for weather condition revaluation in mega-events management. Current Issues in Tourism, 22(1), 16-20.
- Pro-tourism and anti-tourism community groups at a world heritage site in Turkey. Current Issues in Tourism, 22(7), 763-785.
- Different voices from community groups to support sustainable tourism development at Iranian World Heritage Sites: evidence from Bisotun. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of general risk on trust, satisfaction, and recommendation intention for halal food. International Journal of Hospitality Management. View this article in WRRO
- Transformational leadership, corporate social responsibility, organizational innovation, and organizational performance: Symmetrical and asymmetrical analytical approaches. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 25(6), 1270-1283. View this article in WRRO
- Progress on outbound tourism expenditure research: A review. Current Issues in Tourism. View this article in WRRO
- Understanding museum vacationers' eco-friendly decision-making process: strengthening the VBN framework. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 26(6), 855-872.
- Risk assessment of halal products and services: Implication for tourism industry. Tourism Management, 65, 279-291.
- Behavioral intentions of disabled tourists for the use of peer-to-peer accommodations. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 30(1), 436-454.
- Model of sustainable behavior: Assessing cognitive, emotional and normative influence in the cruise context. Business Strategy and the Environment, 27(7), 789-800.
- Effects of individual resources and team-member exchange on service quality. The Service Industries Journal, 38(9-10), 584-606.
- An exploratory study of value added services. Journal of Services Marketing, 32(3), 334-345.
- Configurational Models to Predict Residents’ Support for Tourism Development. Journal of Travel Research, 56(7), 893-912.
- Modelling tourism expenditure using complexity theory. Journal of Business Research, 75, 147-158.
- Modeling a Drought Index Using a Nonparametric Approach. Issue 1, 19(1), 58-68.
- Second home tourism impact and governance: Evidence from the Caspian Sea region of Iran. Ocean & Coastal Management, 136, 165-176.
- Environmental Impacts of Mass Religious Tourism: From Residents' Perspectives. Tourism Analysis, 22(2), 167-183.
- Asymmetric modeling of intention to purchase tourism weather insurance and loyalty. Journal of Business Research, 69(8), 2791-2800.
- Is a Clean Development Mechanism project economically justified? Case study of an International Carbon Sequestration Project in Iran. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(1), 504-513.
- Risk assessment of precipitation and the tourism climate index. Tourism Management, 50, 73-80.
- Sustainable planning model toward reviving Lake Urmia. International Journal of Water Resources Development, 31(4), 519-539.
- Developing a climate-based recreation management system for a mediterranean island. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 24(11C), 4125-4141.
- Modeling tourism climate indices through fuzzy logic. Climate Research, 66(1), 49-63.
- Social well-being and transformative service research : evidence from China. Journal of Services Marketing. View this article in WRRO
- Risk Perceptions of Airbnb Hosts: Evidence from a Mediterranean Island. Sustainability, 10(5), 1349-1349.
- The Barriers Against the Entrepreneurship Development of Medical and Healthcare Tourism Industry: Evidence From Kermanshah, Iran. International Journal of Health and Life Sciences, 6(2).
- Nostalgic festivals, Heritage and Festivals in Europe (pp. 63-78). Routledge
- Tourism in Iran Routledge
- Ecological modernization and environmental education: the case of Turkey., Destination competitiveness, the environment and sustainability: challenges and cases (pp. 112-128). CABI
Conference proceedings papers
- Toward an Understanding of Responsible Artificial Intelligence Practices. Proceedings of the 53rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences View this article in WRRO
Title: Study of Destination Development; Institutionalization Strategies in The OIC Member Countries
- Awarding body: COMCEC
- Date: July 2018
- People involved: Prof. Chris Cooper, Prof. Levent Altinay, Mr Clive Nicolaou, Dr. Axel Klenert
- Amount: £110,000
Title: How to Penetrate in Diverse markets of Halal Cosmetic? Implications for Southeast Asian Markets
- Awarding body: National Research Foundation of Korea
- Date: June 2017
- People involved: Prof. Hee-Yul Lee
- Amount: £78,000
Title: Modelling Behavioural Intentions of Disabled Tourists for the Use of Peer-to-Peer Accommodations
- Awarding body: Sejong University
- Date: December 2017 -
- Amount: £5,000
Title: Impacts Assessment of Clean Development Mechanism Project
- Awarding body: UNDP
- Date: June 2015
- Amount: £13,000
Title: Zoning of Vulnerable Area in Off-roads of the Desert Region using GIS
- Awarding body: Science Foundation
- Date: April 2018
- People involved: Dr. Hamidreza Naseri
- Amount: £20,000
- Teaching interests
- Consumer behaviour
- Sustainable management
- Tourism marketing
- Marketing communication
- Professional activities
Scholastic activities and knowledge exchange
- External Examiner of PhD Dissertation on complexity of tourist’ decision making process to select a destination, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. June 20, 2018.
- Workshop, ‘Advanced analytical approaches: beyond symmetrical methods’. 6th Interdisciplinary Tourism Research Conference. Anatolia. Cappadocia, Turkey. Oct 2-6, 2018.
- Member of Scientific Committee and Chair of Hospitality and Tourism Session in the 4th International AR and VR Conference in Tourism and Hospitality. Organized by the Manchester Metropolitan University. Manchester, UK. 21-22 Jun, 2018.
- Reviewer for the 2018 EDAMBA (European Doctoral Programs Association in Management & Business Administration). Brussels, Belgium. March, 2018.
- Member of Scientific Committee, the International Conference Tourism Hospitality and Events in a Changing World. co-organized by the Universities of Derby and Sunderland, and the Centre for Research in Tourism Excellence (CERTE). Buxton, UK. 26-28 Jun, 2018.
- Workshop on ‘SEM 101: An Applied Approach With SmartPLS’. Global Conference on Services Management. SIAF, Vinterra, Italy. October 3-7, 2017.
- Workshop on ‘Halal Products Marketing’. International Halal Tourism Conference, Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia with Sejong University. Seoul, S. Korea. August 17-18, 2017.
- Webinar on ‘Innovative analytical approaches in Tourism Marketing’, University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee and Association of North America Higher Education International. July 28, 2017.
- Workshop on ‘Research Methods in Management- Traditional Approaches, fsQCA & NCA’, Business school. Sejong University. March 11, 2017.
- Keynote speaker, ‘Multi-cultural society, the opportunity and the future of Korean Society’. Kosin University, Busan, South Korea. Nov 11, 2016.
- Keynote speaker, ‘Sustainable Tourism Development in Iran’. 18th General Assembly of the World Crafts Council. Isfehan, Iran. Sep 27, 2016.
Academic management and leadership administration
- Chair of Colloquium on quality research publication, 15th International Research Conference on The Silk Road and the Tourism and Hospitality Industries, Almaty, Kazakhstan, April 13-14, 2018.
- Chairman of Sejong Halal Authority. Seoul, S. Korea. from January 2017 to present.
- Chair of Panel Session on ‘Effective Research Know-how’. The 2017 Academy of Global Hospitality & Tourism Conference. Cheongju, S. Korea. May 26-28, 2017.
- Member of Graduate Program's Admissions Committee, Hospitality & Tourism College, Sejong University. Nov. 2016- 2017.
- Coordinator of Postgraduate Programs, British University of Nicosia, Kyrinia, Cyprus. Sep. 2015- Aug. 2016.
- Member of British University of Nicosia Accreditation Committee, Kyrinia, Cyprus. Sep. 2015- Sep. 2016.
Honours & awards
- Selected as a top two reviewers for International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management in 2017.
- One of top one percent of peer reviewers in Business, Management, and Accounting. Publons Peer Review Awards 2017.
- Distinguished paper (Does Weather Risk Mediate the Effect of Disconfirmation on Tourist Behavioral Intentions?) in the 2017 Academy of Global Hospitality & Tourism Conference. Cheongju, S. Korea. May 26-28, 2017.
- Rank 1 among Outstanding Graduates of Eastern Mediterranean University. Famagusta, Cyprus. 2015.