Professor Hossein Olya
Head of Marketing and Cultural Creative Industries (Interim)
Chair in Cultural and Creative Industries
+44 114 222 3303
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
Professor Olya joined Sheffield University Management School in 2018 and served as Research Development Director of Marketing and CCI group until 2021. Prior to joining Sheffield University Management School, he worked for Oxford Brookes Business School (Oxford, UK) and Sejong University (Seoul, South Korea).
Throughout his career, he has taken an active approach to interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research to investigate complex social problems with an attempt to develop impactful and innovative conclusions. He is actively leading research projects in the areas of cultural consumptions and sustainable management.
He is currently serving as associate editor of the International Journal of Consumer Studies and was the Service Industries Journal. He has been delivering key notes at many prestigious international conferences in the USA, UK, Italy, South Korea, Cyprus, Turkey, Kazakhstan and Africa.
- Research interests
- Complex system management
- Cultural consumptions
- Sustainable marketing
- Climate change
- A multi-analytical approach to studying customers motivations to use innovative totally autonomous vehicles. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 174.
- Exploring the paths to big data analytics implementation success in banking and financial service: an integrated approach. Industrial Management and Data Systems.
- The effects of external and internal factors on competitive advantage—moderation of market dynamism and mediation of customer relationship building. Sustainability, 13(7). View this article in WRRO
- Unpacking the complex interactions among customers in online fan pages. Journal of Business Research, 125, 164-176.
- Modelling perceived service quality and turnover intentions in gender‐segregated environments. International Journal of Consumer Studies.
- Scepticism and resistance to IoMT in healthcare: Application of behavioural reasoning theory with configurational perspective. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 169, 120807-120807.
- Sustainable intelligence, destination social responsibility, and pro-environmental behaviour of visitors: Evidence from an eco-tourism site. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 47, 365-376.
- The combined use of symmetric and asymmetric approaches: partial least squares-structural equation modeling and fuzzy-set qualitative comparative analysis. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Sexual harassment, psychological well-being, and job satisfaction of female tour guides: the effects of social and organizational support. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 1-19.
- Towards advancing theory and methods on tourism development from residents’ perspectives : developing a framework on the pathway to impact. Journal of Sustainable Tourism.
- Control mechanisms, management orientations, and the creativity of service employees : symmetric and asymmetric modeling. Journal of Business Research.
- Couchsurfing involvement in non-profit peer-to-peer accommodations and its impact on destination image, familiarity, and behavioral intentions. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 44, 131-142. View this article in WRRO
- Stimulating satisfaction and loyalty: transformative behaviour and Muslim consumers. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(9), 2903-2923.
- Hotels’ sustainability practices and guests’ familiarity, attitudes and behaviours. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. View this article in WRRO
- The medical tourism index and behavioral responses of medical travelers: A mixed-method study. Journal of Travel Research. View this article in WRRO
- Guest editorial. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(4), 1385-1391. View this article in WRRO
- Failure of play on asset disposals and share buybacks : application of game theory in the international hotel market. Tourism Management, 77. View this article in WRRO
- Canal boat tourism : application of complexity theory. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 53. View this article in WRRO
- Airbnb and taxation: Developing a seasonal tax system. Tourism Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Determinants of canal boat tour participant behaviours: an explanatory mixed-method approach. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 37(1), 112-127. View this article in WRRO
- Engaging visitors of science festivals using augmented reality: asymmetrical modelling. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(2), 769-796. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of airport green atmospherics on mental health value, image, and loyalty among visitors and workers. Business Strategy and the Environment. View this article in WRRO
- Behavioral responses of 3S tourism visitors : evidence from a Mediterranean island destination. Tourism Management Perspectives, 33. View this article in WRRO
- Determination of Suitable Regions for Cultivation of Three Medicinal Plants under a Changing Climate. Environmental Processes, 7(1), 89-108.
- Understanding the influence of airport servicescape on traveler dissatisfaction and misbehavior. Journal of Travel Research. View this article in WRRO
- Festival quality, self-connection, and bragging. Annals of Tourism Research, 76, 239-252. View this article in WRRO
- Antecedents of Space Traveler Behavioral Intention. Journal of Travel Research. View this article in WRRO
- Exploring halal-friendly destination attributes in South Korea: Perceptions and behaviors of Muslim travelers toward a non-Muslim destination. Tourism Management, 71, 151-164. View this article in WRRO
- What are the triggers of Asian visitor satisfaction and loyalty in the Korean heritage site?. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 47, 195-205. View this article in WRRO
- Tackling the Complexity of the Pro-environmental Behavior Intentions of Visitors to Turtle Sites. Journal of Travel Research, 58(2), 313-332.
- Decoding behavioural responses of green hotel guests: A deeper insight into the application of the theory of planned behaviour. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. View this article in WRRO
- Tourism climate insurance: implications and prospects. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 24(4), 269-280. View this article in WRRO
- A call for weather condition revaluation in mega-events management. Current Issues in Tourism, 22(1), 16-20.
- Pro-tourism and anti-tourism community groups at a world heritage site in Turkey. Current Issues in Tourism, 22(7), 763-785.
- Different voices from community groups to support sustainable tourism development at Iranian World Heritage Sites: evidence from Bisotun. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of general risk on trust, satisfaction, and recommendation intention for halal food. International Journal of Hospitality Management. View this article in WRRO
- Transformational leadership, corporate social responsibility, organizational innovation, and organizational performance: Symmetrical and asymmetrical analytical approaches. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 25(6), 1270-1283. View this article in WRRO
- Progress on outbound tourism expenditure research: A review. Current Issues in Tourism. View this article in WRRO
- Understanding museum vacationers' eco-friendly decision-making process: strengthening the VBN framework. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 26(6), 855-872.
- Risk assessment of halal products and services: Implication for tourism industry. Tourism Management, 65, 279-291.
- Behavioral intentions of disabled tourists for the use of peer-to-peer accommodations. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 30(1), 436-454.
- Model of sustainable behavior: Assessing cognitive, emotional and normative influence in the cruise context. Business Strategy and the Environment, 27(7), 789-800.
- Effects of individual resources and team-member exchange on service quality. The Service Industries Journal, 38(9-10), 584-606.
- An exploratory study of value added services. Journal of Services Marketing, 32(3), 334-345.
- Configurational Models to Predict Residents’ Support for Tourism Development. Journal of Travel Research, 56(7), 893-912.
- Modelling tourism expenditure using complexity theory. Journal of Business Research, 75, 147-158.
- Modeling a Drought Index Using a Nonparametric Approach. Issue 1, 19(1), 58-68.
- Second home tourism impact and governance: Evidence from the Caspian Sea region of Iran. Ocean & Coastal Management, 136, 165-176.
- Environmental Impacts of Mass Religious Tourism: From Residents' Perspectives. Tourism Analysis, 22(2), 167-183.
- Asymmetric modeling of intention to purchase tourism weather insurance and loyalty. Journal of Business Research, 69(8), 2791-2800.
- Is a Clean Development Mechanism project economically justified? Case study of an International Carbon Sequestration Project in Iran. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(1), 504-513.
- Risk assessment of precipitation and the tourism climate index. Tourism Management, 50, 73-80.
- Sustainable planning model toward reviving Lake Urmia. International Journal of Water Resources Development, 31(4), 519-539.
- Developing a climate-based recreation management system for a mediterranean island. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 24(11C), 4125-4141.
- Modeling tourism climate indices through fuzzy logic. Climate Research, 66(1), 49-63.
- Social well-being and transformative service research : evidence from China. Journal of Services Marketing. View this article in WRRO
- Risk Perceptions of Airbnb Hosts: Evidence from a Mediterranean Island. Sustainability, 10(5), 1349-1349.
- The Barriers Against the Entrepreneurship Development of Medical and Healthcare Tourism Industry: Evidence From Kermanshah, Iran. International Journal of Health and Life Sciences, 6(2).
- Sharing economy in hospitality and tourism: a review and the future pathways. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 1-22.
- Introduction to the Special Issue: Nature-Based Solutions in Hospitality and Tourism Management. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 109634802110336-109634802110336. View this article in WRRO
- Shaping Social Media Analytics in the Pursuit of Organisational Agility: A Real Options Theory Perspective. Tourism Management.
- Nostalgic festivals, Heritage and Festivals in Europe (pp. 63-78). Routledge
- Tourism in Iran Routledge
- Ecological modernization and environmental education: the case of Turkey., Destination competitiveness, the environment and sustainability: challenges and cases (pp. 112-128). CABI
Conference proceedings papers
- Toward an Understanding of Responsible Artificial Intelligence Practices. Proceedings of the 53rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences View this article in WRRO
Title Date Awarding Body People Involved Unleashing power of Influencer Marketing in Promoting Pro-social causes September 2021 White Rose Maximilian Gerrath, Hamed Ahmadi, Mahnaz Aravaneh, Fraser McLeay Study of Destination Development; Institutionalization Strategies in The OIC Member Countries July 2018 COMCEC Chris Cooper, Levent Altinay, Clive Nicolaou, Axel Klenert How to Penetrate in Diverse markets of Halal Cosmetic? Implications for Southeast Asian Markets June 2017 National Research Foundation of Korea Professor Hee-Yul Lee Modelling Behavioural Intentions of Disabled Tourists for the Use of Peer-to-Peer Accommodations December 2017 Sejong University
- Teaching interests
- Marketing communication
- Responsible Service Management