IELTS Exam Preparation Course
If you're planning on taking IELTS then our part-time evening classes can help you prepare.
Our IELTS Exam preparation course is for anyone over 18 wanting to improve their exam techniques for IELTS.
- Level: CEFR B2 / minimum IELTS 5.0
- Cost: £449 including all tuition and materials. Exam entry fee not included.
- Dates: October to December 2023
- Hours: 2 classes a week of 2 hours for 10 weeks (40 hours in total)
- Apply: Apply Now
IELTS is the world’s leading English language proficiency test, taken by over 1.7 million people each year. IELTS (Academic) assesses all of your English skills — reading, writing, listening and speaking, and is designed to reflect how you will use English for study. It is used for entry to universities all over the world, including The University of Sheffield
About our IELTS Exam preparation course
- Who is this course for?
These classes are suitable for anyone with little or no experience of IELTS or those that want to refresh their exam skills.
You may expect an improvement of half a band in each IELTS component from attending the course however this depends on external factors, like how much English is practised and studied outside the classroom and if you have previously taken an IELTS preparation course.
The classes focus on the test techniques and papers and NOT on general language improvement at a specific level.
The class is not suitable for students wanting to improve their IELTS grades more than 0.5 bands or who need significant language improvement to achieve a specific IELTS band score.
The course is suitable for students with a current overall IELTS score of 5.0 - 6.0, or a low B2 level in an equivalent exam. The course is not suitable for anyone with a lower or higher levels of English.
- What does the course cover?
During the course you will:
- Cover all parts of the exam and be given strategies, techniques and advice on how to achieve the score you need
- Complete a practice tests and get feedback from your teacher
- Practise speaking using a wide range of language used in the exam
- Develop your writing skills and learn how to analyse data and texts to help you write more accurately
- Listen to different talks, lectures, programmes and conversations
- Read a wide range of academic and exam style texts such as reports and academic articles
- Increase your grammar and vocabulary range to help you improve your score
- Can I take IELTS at your centre?
Yes, we are an official IELTS and Cambridge test centre, and offer frequent IELTS on Paper and IELTS on Computer examination dates.
IELTS exam fees are not included with the fee for this preparation course.
For more information on booking your IELTS exam and to view upcoming examination dates at our centre, please visit our IELTS webpage:
- Upcoming Course Dates
Our previous 10 week course took place between February 13 2023 and May 11 2023, with a three week break during the University's Easter vacation period:
Teaching block 1 - 13 February 2023 to 30 March 2023 (7 weeks)
Easter Break - 31 March 2023 to 23 April (3 weeks)
Teaching block 2 - 24 April 2023 to 11 May 2023 (3 weeks)
The full course consists of 40 hours tuition - 2 x 2hr lessons per week over 10 weeks.
A further course will take place in October 2023, with course dates to be confirmed later in 2023.
- Tuition Fees
The tuition fee for the February 2023 course is £449 and this includes:
- All tuition and materials provided as part of the course
- A wide range of motivating materials, including digital resources and a coursebook
- Practice tests
- Access to our online learning platform and a range of self-study materials
- Regular targeted support from your teacher helps you to achieve your learning goals.
The IELTS exam entry fee is not included as part of the course tuition fee.
You can book an IELTS exam at our test centre for £179 in 2022 by visiting the link below:
How to apply
To apply for an upcoming course, please complete the application form below:
Part-time IELTS Preparation Course - Application Form
Applications for our February 2023 courses are now closed. Applications for our Autumn 2023 course will open later in 2023.
After you have completed the application form, you will be invited to take a placement test to check that your level of English is appropriate for this course.
We will send you more information about the test after you complete the application form.
Information for Under 18s
Our courses are designed for adults. Applicants who are under 18 are subject to a number of restrictions and administrative procedures.
The standard minimum age for our courses is 18 years. However, we will consider applications from applicants who are under 18 in some circumstances, and subject to satisfactory guardianship arrangements being in place. Please contact us for more information.
For further information on under 18s at the university please visit our "Students under the age of 18" webpage".
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.