Dr Dimitrios Tsarapatsanis
Email Address: D.Tsarapatsanis@sheffield.ac.uk
Telephone: +44 (0)114 222 6835
Room No: EF01C
I hold an LLB from the University of Athens, where I also obtained my first postgraduate degree, an LLM in EU and International Law. I then continued my postgraduate studies in Legal Theory at Université Paris X-Nanterre. Immediately afterwards I was awarded a state-funded Research Scholarship to pursue doctoral studies in the field of bioethics and biolaw. I subsequently obtained my PhD with distinction (summa cum laude) from Université Paris X-Nanterre. In my PhD thesis I argued that the reasonable pluralism of views about the value of prenatal human life precludes the attribution of legal personhood to the human embryo and foetus. My thesis was awarded a Paul Ricœur prize and was published in 2010.
I joined the School of Law in 2012. Prior to that, I was a part-time Teaching Assistant at the University of Athens. During the same time, I worked as an Attorney-at-law in an Athens-based law firm, specializing in EU Law and European Human Rights Law.
- PhD, Université Paris X-Nanterre
- DEA, Université Paris X-Nanterre
- LLM, University of Athens
- LLB, University of Athens
Teaching and Learning
My teaching is a reflection of my research interests and strengths. The topics I teach draw on previous work on legal theory and the interaction between fundamental rights and bioethics from a domestic, European and international perspective. I am particularly interested in the regulation of IVF and new biotechnologies, as well as on the moral and legal status of prenatal human life.
Through my teaching, I aim to inspire students and to instill analytical rigour and the argumentative attitude that are absolutely essential in successful legal practice.
The modules I teach are:
|Jurisprudence: Law and Morality||Principles of Bioethics (Convenor)|
|Law and Political Theory||European Health Governance|
|The Theory and Practice of the Human Rights Act 1998 (Convenor)||Law and Regulation of Biotechnology (Convenor)|
|Understanding Law||Principles of Health Law & Policy|
|Contemporary Issues in Healthcare Law and Ethics||International Biolaw (Convenor)|
|Public Law - GDL (Convenor)|
- Judicial decision-making
- The nature and function of bioethics norms
- The content and protection of fundamental rights
- European and international human rights law
- Comparative constitutional law
- Legal theory
Areas of Research Supervision
- Bioethics and Biolaw
- Human Rights
- Comparative Constitutional Law
Recent Invited Papers and Keynote Lectures
- 'Legislation, Generality and Kinds of Moral Input', SLS Conference, Nottingham, September 2014
Professional Activities and Recognition
- Attorney at Law, Athens Bar
- Project Lead for the EU Constitutional Reform Research Project for Bridging Europe
- Tsarapatsanis D (2010) Les fondements éthiques des discours juridiques sur le statut de la vie humaine anténatale. Presses universitaires de Paris Nanterre.