Dr. Hossein Olya is a Senior Lecturer in Consumer Behaviour at the Sheffield University Management School, The University of Sheffield, United Kingdom (UK). His research has a dual focus: consumer behaviour and tourism marketing with a focus on complexity theory.
He has been delivering lectures in teaching undergraduate and postgraduate modules for the past four years in international and multicultural universities. At an institutional level, he has provided academic leadership for several academic colleagues and PhD and master students.
In the last three years, Dr Olya had over 27 academic publications including 4* and 3* journals with high impact factors. He is currently serving as associate editor of the Service Industries Journal and as an editorial board member for other peer-reviewed journals such as International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management and Journal of Tourismology, being among the top 1% of reviewers in the fields of business and management as determined by Publons in 2017. He is a regularly invited speaker to many prestigious international conferences in Italy, South Korea, Cyprus, Turkey, Kazakhstan and UK.
-Integrated Marketing Communication
Consumer behaviour, sustainable management, tourism climate, GIS
Dr Olya is ambitious about cross-disciplinary opportunities and committed to working collaboratively across the school. Integrating his engineering background with social science enables him to model complex social phenomena by offering new insights into our understanding of complex consumer behaviours and sustainable destination management.
- Shoukry SA Rozek: Expected graduation date: 2021
- Romina Cheraghalizadeh: Expected graduation date: 2020
- Pourya Bagheri: Expected graduation date: 2019
- Nahid Malazizi: graduated successfully in 2018
- Esmaeil Khasksar: graduated successfully in 2017
- Javaneh Mehran: graduated successfully in 2016
Journal Articles Published
1.Olya, H., Alipour, H., Peyravi, B., Dalir, S., (2019). Tourism climate insurance: implications and prospects, Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 1-12. Doi: 10.1080/10941665.2018.1564338.
2.Olya, H., Bagheri, P., & Tumer, M., (2019). Decoding behavioural responses of green hotel guests: A deeper insight into the application of the theory of planned behaviour. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. Doi: 10.1108/IJCHM-05-2018-0374. In press.
3. Olya, H., (2019). A call for weather condition revaluation in mega-events management. 22(1), 16-20. Doi: 10.1080/13683500.2017.1377160.
4. Han, H., Al-Ansi, A., Olya, H., & Kim, W., (2019). Exploring halal-friendly destination attributes in South Korea: Perceptions and behaviors of Muslim travelers toward a non-Muslim destination. Tourism Management. 71, 151-164. Doi: 10.1016/j.tourman.2018.10.010.
5. Olya, H., Lee, C.K., Lee, Y.K., & Reisinger, Y., (2019). What are the triggers of Asian visitor satisfaction and loyalty in the Korean heritage site?, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 47, 195-205. Doi: 10.1016/j.jretconser.2018.11.002.
6. Al-ansi, A., Olya, H., & Han, H., (2018). Effect of general risk on trust, satisfaction, and recommendation intention for halal food, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 1-10. Doi: 10.1016/j.ijhm.2018.10.017.
7. Olya, H., Alipour, H., & Gavylian, Y. (2018) Different Voices from Community Groups to Support Sustainable Tourism Development at Iranian World Heritage Sites: Evidence from Bisotun. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 1-24. Doi:10.1080/09669582.2018.1511718.
8. Khan, H., Ali, M., & Olya, H., (2018). How Do Transformational Leadership, CSR, and Organizational Innovation Contribute to Organizational Performance? Symmetrical and Asymmetrical Models. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 1-22. Doi: 10.1002/csr.1637. In press.
9. Mehran, J., & Olya, H., (2018). Progress on Outbound Tourism Expenditure Research: A Review. Current Issues in Tourism. Doi: 10.1080/13683500.2018.1517734.
10. Malazizi, N., Alipour, H., Olya, H., (2018). Risk Perceptions of Airbnb Hosts: Evidence from a Mediterranean Island. Sustainability, 10 (5), 13-49. Doi: 10.3390/su10051349.
11. Olya, H., & Akhshik, A., (2018). Tackling the Complexity of the Pro-environmental Behaviors of Visitors to Marine Turtle Sites. Journal of Travel Research, 1-27. Doi:10.1177/0047287517751676.
12. Han, H., Olya, H., Kim, J., & Kim, W., (2018) Model of sustainable behavior: Assessing cognitive, emotional, and normative influence in the cruise context. Business Strategy and the Environment, 27(7), 789-800. Doi: 10.1002/bse.2031.
13. Olya, H., & Al-ansi, A. (2018). Risk Assessment of Halal Products and Services: Implication for Tourism Industry. Tourism Management. 279-291. doi: 10.1016/j.tourman.2017.10.015.
14. Olya, H., Altinay, L., & De Vita, G., (2018). An Exploratory Study of Value Added Services. Journal of Service Marketing, 32 (3), 334-345. Doi: 10.1108/JSM-12-2016-0415.
15. Kim, W., Olya, H., Cho, S., & Han, H., (2018). Understanding museum vacationers’ eco-friendly decision-making process: Strengthening the VBN framework. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 26(6), 855-872. Doi:10.1080/09669582.2017.1377210.
16. Olya, H., … & Altinay, M., (2018). Behavioral Intentions of Disabled Tourists for the Use of Peer-to-Peer Accommodations: An Application of fsQCA. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 30 (1), 436-454. Doi: 0.1108/IJCHM-08-2016-0471.
17. Baek, U., Olya, H., & Lee, S.K., (2018). Effect of Individual Resources and Team-Member Exchange on Service Quality. Service Industries Journal. 38 (10), 584-606. Doi: 10.1080/02642069.2018.1426751.
18. Olya, H., & Mehran, J., (2017). Modelling tourism expenditure using complexity theory. Journal of Business Research. 75, 147-158. Doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.02.015.
19. Olya, H., Khaksar, E. S., & Alipour, H., (2017). Pro-tourism and anti-tourism community groups: Recipes for support tourism development and its negation in a world heritage site in Turkey, Current Issues in Tourism. 1-23. Doi: 10.1080/13683500.2017.1329281.
20. Olya, H., & Gavylian, Y., (2017). Causal Complexity of Residents’ Support of Tourism Development. Journal of Travel Research. 56(7), 893–912. Doi:10.1177/0047287516667850.
21. Alipour, H., Olya, H., & Forouzan, I., (2017). Environmental Impacts of Mass Religious Tourism: From Residents’’ perspective. Tourism Analysis, 22(2), 167-183. Doi: 10.3727/108354217X14888192562285.
22. Alipour, H., Olya, H., & Hassanzade, B., (2017). Second Home Tourism Impact and Governance: Evidence from the Caspian Sea Region. Ocean & Coastal Management. 136, 165–176. Doi: 10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2016.12.006.
23. Olya, H., & Altinay, L., (2016). Asymmetric Modeling of Intention to Purchase Tourism Weather Insurance and Loyalty. Journal of Business Research. 69 (8), 2791-2800. Doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.11.015.
24. Katircioglu, S., Dalir, S., Olya, H., (2016). Is a Clean Development Mechanism Project Economically Justified? Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(1), 504-513. Doi: 10.1007/s11356-015-5256-2.
25. Olya, H., & Alipour, H. (2015). Risk Assessment of Precipitation and Tourism Climate Index. Tourism Management. 50, 73-80. Doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2015.01.010.
26. Olya, H., & Alipour, H., (2015). Modelling Tourism Climate Indices through Fuzzy Logic. Climate Research. 66 (1), 49-63. Doi:10.3354/cr01327.
27. Olya, H., & Alipour, H., (2015). Developing a Climate-based Recreation Management System for a Mediterranean Island, Fresenius Environmental Bulletin. 24(12), 1-33.
28. Alipour, H., & Olya, H., (2014). Sustainable Planning Model Toward Reviving Lake Urmia; Journal of Water Resources Development, 31(4), 519-539. Doi: 10.1080/07900627.2014.949636.
29. Karatepe O., Baradarani S., Olya, H., Ilkhanizadeh S., & Raoofi A., (2014). The Effects of High-Performance Work Practices on Individual-Level Performance: Evidence from the Hotel Industry. European Journal of Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation. 5 (3), 49-67.
Selected Conference Paper
- Olya, H., Altinay, L., Ringham, K., & Kenebayeva, K., Consumer’s perspective on Sustainable Practices in Kazakhstan Lodging Industry. 15th International Research Conference on The Silk Road and the Tourism and Hospitality Industries. Almaty, Kazakhstan, Apr. 13-14, 2018.
- Mehran J. and Olya H., Future Trend of Outbound Tourism Expenditure Modelling: A Review of Predictors and Analytical Approaches. 7th Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Marketing and Management conference. Famagusta. 10-15 July 2017.
- Olya H., and Alipour H. Second Home Tourism. The 5th Eastern Mediterranean Tourism Symposium. Cyprus. 22 & 23 April 2016.
- Olya, H., Does Weather Risk Mediate the Effect of Disconfirmation on Tourist Behavioral Intentions? 2017 Academy of Global Hospitality & Tourism Conference. Cheongju, S. Korea. May 26-28, 2017.
- Olya H., How to Operationalize Tourism Climate Insurance? 2nd International Tourism and Travel Studies Conference. Eastern Mediterranean Academic Research Centre. Istanbul, 20th Jun. 2015.
- Olya, H. GT., Valipour E., and Bazari H., Application of Indigenous knowledge in Sustainable Urban Design in Dry Climate, International Journal of Art and Science, New Britain, USA, 27th Nov. 2012.
- Dehghani M., Olya, H. GT., Pahlavanravi A., Nasrabadi A., Hadarbadi Gh., Prioritizing of watershed Management Operations In Catchments Using Fuzzy Logic and GIS; 5th International Conference on Land Degradation; Valenzano, Bari, Italy, 20th April, 2008.
• Lee, S.K., Kiatkawsin, P., Olya H., Woods, D. (2018). Development of marketing plan for sustainable management of world cultural heritage sites, Seoul: ASEAN-Korea Centre. ISBN: 979-11-88409-14-3 03320.
• Olya H., (2018). Mass Faith Tourism and Life Satisfaction of Residents: Evidence from Mashhad. In Seyfi S., & Hall M., Tourism in Iran Challenges, Development and Issues. Abingdon: Routledge.
• Alipour H., Olya H. GT., (2015). Ecological Modernization and Environmental Education: The Case of Turkey. In A. Artal & M. Kozak (Eds.), Destination Competitiveness, the Environment and Sustainability. Oxon: CABI. Doi:10.1079/9781780646978.0112.
• Olya H. GT., Naseri, H., (2014). Atlas of Desert Tourism, Tehran: Asre Novin (In Persian). ISBN: 978-600-7315-11-8.
• Olya H. GT., Jadehgi, M., (2014). Horticulture and Garden Tourism, Tehran: Asre Novin (In Persian). ISBN: 978-600-7315-02-6.
Scholastic activities and knowledge exchange
- External Examiner of PhD Dissertation on complexity of tourist’ decision making process to select a destination, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. June 20, 2018.
- Workshop, ‘Advanced analytical approaches: beyond symmetrical methods’. 6th Interdisciplinary Tourism Research Conference. Anatolia. Cappadocia, Turkey. Oct 2-6, 2018.
- Member of Scientific Committee and Chair of Hospitality and Tourism Session in the 4th International AR and VR Conference in Tourism and Hospitality. Organized by the Manchester Metropolitan University. Manchester, UK. 21-22 Jun, 2018.
- Reviewer for the 2018 EDAMBA (European Doctoral Programs Association in Management & Business Administration). Brussels, Belgium. March, 2018.
- Member of Scientific Committee, the International Conference Tourism Hospitality and Events in a Changing World. co-organized by the Universities of Derby and Sunderland, and the Centre for Research in Tourism Excellence (CERTE). Buxton, UK. 26-28 Jun, 2018.
- Workshop on ‘SEM 101: An Applied Approach With SmartPLS’. Global Conference on Services Management. SIAF, Vinterra, Italy. October 3-7, 2017.
- Workshop on ‘Halal Products Marketing’. International Halal Tourism Conference, Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia with Sejong University. Seoul, S. Korea. August 17-18, 2017.
- Webinar on ‘Innovative analytical approaches in Tourism Marketing’, University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee and Association of North America Higher Education International. July 28, 2017.
- Workshop on ‘Research Methods in Management- Traditional Approaches, fsQCA & NCA’, Business school. Sejong University. March 11, 2017.
- Keynote speaker, ‘Multi-cultural society, the opportunity and the future of Korean Society’. Kosin University, Busan, South Korea. Nov 11, 2016.
- Keynote speaker, ‘Sustainable Tourism Development in Iran’. 18th General Assembly of the World Crafts Council. Isfehan, Iran. Sep 27, 2016.
- External Examiner of PhD qualification Examination: DBA Program, Cyprus International University, Nov. 2015
- External Examiner of PhD Dissertation on Digital Marketing in Jordan, Girne American University, Feb. 2016.
- External Examiner of PhD qualification Examination: DBA Program, Cyprus International University, Jun. 2016.
- External Examiner of PhD Dissertation on Network Marketing in Nigeria, Girne American University, Jun. 2016.
Academic management and leadership administration
- Chair of Colloquium on quality research publication, 15th International Research Conference on The Silk Road and the Tourism and Hospitality Industries, Almaty, Kazakhstan, April 13-14, 2018.
- Chairman of Sejong Halal Authority. Seoul, S. Korea. from January 2017 to present.
- Chair of Panel Session on ‘Effective Research Know-how’. The 2017 Academy of Global Hospitality & Tourism Conference. Cheongju, S. Korea. May 26-28, 2017.
- Member of Graduate Program's Admissions Committee, Hospitality & Tourism College, Sejong University. Nov. 2016- 2017.
- Coordinator of Postgraduate Programs, British University of Nicosia, Kyrinia, Cyprus. Sep. 2015- Aug. 2016.
- Member of British University of Nicosia Accreditation Committee, Kyrinia, Cyprus. Sep. 2015- Sep. 2016.
- Coordinator of Online Education Program. Eastern Mediterranean University, 2012-2015.
- Member of EMU Accreditation Committee, Famgusta, Cyprus. 2014-2015.
- Administrator of Moodle of Tourism Faculty. Eastern Mediterranean University, 2012-2015.
• Honors & Awards
- Selected as a top two reviewers for International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management in 2017.
- One of top one percent of peer reviewers in Business, Management, and Accounting. Publons Peer Review Awards 2017.
- Distinguished paper (Does Weather Risk Mediate the Effect of Disconfirmation on Tourist Behavioral Intentions?) in the 2017 Academy of Global Hospitality & Tourism Conference. Cheongju, S. Korea. May 26-28, 2017.
- Rank 1 among Outstanding Graduates of Eastern Mediterranean University. Famagusta, Cyprus. 2015.