Dr Yichuan Wang
Senior Lecturer in Digital Marketing
+44 114 215 7181
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
Dr. Yichuan Wang is a Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor in Digital Marketing at the University of Sheffield, with previous posts as a Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Marketing at the Newcastle University Business School, and an Instructor in Business Analytics at the Raymond J. Harbert College of Business, Auburn University (USA) where he earned his PhD in business & information systems.
His research focuses on examining the impact of digital technologies and information systems (e.g., big data analytics, AI, and social media) in influencing practices in marketing, healthcare management, and tourism management.
Yichuan is the author or co-author of over 60 publications, including 5 book chapters and more than 30 refereed journal articles – attracting in excess of 1500 citations.
His research has appeared in journals including British Journal of Management, Information & Management, Annals of Tourism Research, Journal of Travel Research, Journal of Business Research, Industrial Marketing Management, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, International Journal of Production Economics, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, and Computers in Human Behaviour, among others.
He currently serves as a member of the editorial board for Enterprise Information Systems and as a guest editor of special issue for several academic journals including Industrial Marketing Management, Information Systems Frontiers, Journal of Business Research, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, and Information Technology & People.
Yichuan received the Best Paper Award at the Global Marketing Conference and was listed as a finalist for the Best Paper Award at the 20th Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2014) and the 13th International Conference on Operations and Supply Chain Management (ICOSCM 2019).
He was awarded a Research Excellence Award from Newcastle University in 2018 and a Third Place Award from Cambridge/Kent/Czinkota Competition for Excellence in International Business Case Writing in 2019.
His research papers "Big data analytics: Understanding its capabilities and potential benefits for healthcare organizations" and "An integrated big data analytics-enabled transformation model: Application to health care" are selected as one of the most downloaded articles in Technological Forecasting and Social Change and Information & Management respectively since January 2017.
Yichuan is the co-founder of International Conference on Digital Health and Medical Analytics and a co-chair of its conference programme committee.
He has co-organised the 3rd International Conference on Marketing, Strategy and Policy that was hosted by Newcastle University London in 2018.
He also has served as mini-track chair for the Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS) and Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), as a workshop chair for European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), and as an associate editor for the Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS).
Yichuan has been a consultant for both private and public sectors in the UK, USA, China, and Taiwan.
In recent years, he has led and being closely involved with industry on a number of international projects in healthcare domains, including Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (LSUHSC) at Shreveport and at Monroe (USA), AskaPatient.com (a healthcare online community operated by Consumer Health Resource Group, LLC), and First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University (China).
These funded projects aim to help hospitals improve quality of care through using operation management approach (e.g., lean and six sigma), healthcare information systems, and business analytics.
- Research interests
- Social media & digital marketing
- Big data analytics & AI
- Digitalisation enabled business transformation
- Digital health and its business value
- Sharing economy
- Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain Technology. Springer.
- Digital Health and Medical Analytics. Springer Nature.
- Supply-demand matching in a complex telemedicine environment considering intermediary intervention. Computers and Industrial Engineering, 169.
- Better self and better us: Exploring the individual and collective motivations for China's Generation Z consumers to reduce plastic pollution. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 179, 106111-106111.
- How does product-celebrity congruence and content sponsorship affect perceived altruism among consumers? Evidence from factorial experiments. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 178, 106062-106062.
- SHIFTing artificial intelligence to be responsible in healthcare: a systematic review. Social Science & Medicine, 296. View this article in WRRO
- Meta-Seg: A Survey of Meta-learning for Image Segmentation. Pattern Recognition, 108586-108586.
- Combatting medical plastic waste through visual elicitation: Insights from healthcare professionals. Journal of Cleaner Production, 329, 129650-129650.
- Exploring the paths to big data analytics implementation success in banking and financial service: an integrated approach. Industrial Management & Data Systems, ahead-of-print(ahead-of-print).
- Shaping social media analytics in the pursuit of organisational agility : a real options theory perspective. Tourism Management, 88. View this article in WRRO
- The dual concept of consumer value in social media brand community: A trust transfer perspective. International Journal of Information Management, 59, 102319-102319.
- Configurational conditions and Sustained Competitive Advantage: A fsQCA approach. Long Range Planning, 102131-102131.
- Shaping a Smart Transportation System for Sustainable Value Co-Creation. Information Systems Frontiers.
- Corporate responses to the Coronavirus crisis and their impact on electronic-word-of-mouth and trust recovery : evidence from social media. British Journal of Management. View this article in WRRO
- 5G-network-enabled smart ambulance : architecture, application, and evaluation. IEEE Network, 35(1), 190-196.
- Adoption timing of OHSAS 18001 and firm performance: An institutional theory perspective. International Journal of Production Economics, 231, 107870-107870.
- Visual information processing for deep-sea visual monitoring system. Cognitive Robotics, 1, 3-11.
- Accelerating AI Adoption with Responsible AI Signals and Employee Engagement Mechanisms in Health Care. Information Systems Frontiers.
- Eco-innovation for environment and waste prevention. Journal of Business Research, 122, 627-639.
- Organizational mindfulness towards digital transformation as a prerequisite of information processing capability to achieve market agility. Journal of Business Research, 122, 700-712.
- Brand value Co-creation in social commerce: The role of interactivity, social support, and relationship quality. Computers in Human Behavior, 115, 105238-105238.
- Big data governance and algorithmic management in sharing economy platforms: A case of ridesharing in emerging markets. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 161, 120310-120310.
- An architecture for IoT-enabled smart transportation security system: a geospatial approach. IEEE Internet of Things Journal.
- Adversarial attack against urban scene segmentation for autonomous vehicles. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
- Setting the future of digital and social media marketing research: Perspectives and research propositions. International Journal of Information Management. View this article in WRRO
- Unpacking the impact of social media analytics on customer satisfaction : do external stakeholder characteristics matter?. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 40(5), 647-669. View this article in WRRO
- Corporate rebranding : an internal perspective. Journal of Business Research. View this article in WRRO
- Examining the antecedents and consequences of green product innovation. Industrial Marketing Management. View this article in WRRO
- What Makes Hosts Trust Airbnb? Antecedents of Hosts’ Trust toward Airbnb and Its Impact on Continuance Intention. Journal of Travel Research, 59(4), 686-703. View this article in WRRO
- Analytics in the era of big data: The digital transformations and value creation in industrial marketing. Industrial Marketing Management, 86, 12-15.
- Acceptance of automation manufacturing technology in China: an examination of perceived norm and organizational efficacy. Production Planning & Control, 31(8), 660-672.
- In Sharing Economy We Trust: Examining the Effect of Social and Technical Enablers on Millennials’ Trust in Sharing Commerce. Computers in Human Behavior, 108, 105993-105993.
- Brand co-creation through social commerce information sharing: The role of social media. Journal of Business Research, 121, 476-486.
- Towards building a value co-creation circle in social commerce. Computers in Human Behavior, 108, 105476-105476.
- The effect of supply chain finance initiatives on the market value of service providers. International Journal of Production Economics, 216, 227-238. View this article in WRRO
- Leveraging big data analytics to improve quality of care in healthcare organizations: A configurational perspective. British Journal of Management, 30(2), 362-388. View this article in WRRO
- Does privacy assurance on social commerce sites matter to millennials?. International Journal of Information Management, 44, 164-177.
- Exploring adverse drug reactions of diabetes medicine using social media analytics and interactive visualizations. International Journal of Information Management, 48, 228-237.
- Travel envy on social networking sites. Annals of Tourism Research, 73, 184-189.
- Examining the impact of health information systems on healthcare service improvement: The case of reducing in patient-flow delays in a U.S. hospital. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 127, 188-198.
- An integrated big data analytics-enabled transformation model: Application to health care. Information & Management, 55(1), 64-79.
- Big data analytics: Understanding its capabilities and potential benefits for healthcare organizations. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 126, 3-13.
- Using Serious Games in Data Communications and Networking Management Course. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 58(1), 39-48.
- People, Technologies, and Organizations Interactions in a Social Commerce Era. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 64(4), 594-604.
- Let Them Play: The Impact of Mechanics and Dynamics of a Serious Game on Student Perceptions of Learning Engagement. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 10(4), 514-525.
- Social interaction-based consumer decision-making model in social commerce: The role of word of mouth and observational learning. International Journal of Information Management, 37(3), 179-189.
- Business analytics-enabled decision-making effectiveness through knowledge absorptive capacity in health care. Journal of Knowledge Management, 21(3), 517-539.
- Exploring the path to big data analytics success in healthcare. Journal of Business Research, 70, 287-299.
- The impact of sellers' social influence on the co-creation of innovation with customers and brand awareness in online communities. Industrial Marketing Management, 54, 56-70.
- Influences of cross-functional collaboration and knowledge creation on technology commercialization: Evidence from high-tech industries. Industrial Marketing Management, 49, 128-138.
- Leveraging Information Technology for Disaster Recovery: A Case Study of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Implementation for Facility Retrieval. Journal of Information Technology Case and Application Research, 17(1), 41-55.
- Deploying lean in healthcare: Evaluating information technology effectiveness in U.S. hospital pharmacies. International Journal of Information Management, 34(4), 556-560.
- Reshoring and Sustainable Development Goals. British Journal of Management.
- Artificial intelligence in business-to-business marketing: a bibliometric analysis of current research status, development and future directions. Industrial Management & Data Systems, ahead-of-print(ahead-of-print).
- Eliciting Positive Emotion through Strategic Responses to COVID-19 Crisis: Evidence from the Tourism Sector. Tourism Management.
- From Isolation to Coordination: How Can Telemedicine Help Combat the COVID-19 Outbreak?, Communications in Computer and Information Science (pp. 127-132). Springer Singapore
- Reducing Medication Dispensing Process Time in a Multi-Hospital Health System, Proceedings of the Institute of Industrial Engineers Asian Conference 2013 (pp. 1109-1116). Springer Singapore
Conference proceedings papers
- Introduction to HICSS-54 minitrack on the technical, socio-economic and ethical aspects of AI. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Vol. 2020-January (pp 5238-5239)
- Introduction to HICSS-53 minitrack on the technical, socio-economic and ethical aspects of AI. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Vol. 2020-January (pp 4960-4961)
- Toward an Understanding of Responsible Artificial Intelligence Practices. Proceedings of the 53rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences View this article in WRRO
- Introduction to HICCS-52 minitrack on augmenting human intelligence: Artificially, socially, and ethically. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Vol. 2019-January (pp 5266-5267)
- Leveraging big data analytics to improve quality of care in health care: A FSQCA approach. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Vol. 2018-January (pp 770-779)
- Developing a big data-enabled transformation model in healthcare: A practice based view. 35th International Conference on Information Systems "Building a Better World Through Information Systems", ICIS 2014
- Research group
- Teaching interests
Yichuan’s goal in teaching is to foster thoughtful, critical, engaged, independent thinkers.
The learning-by-doing approaches including peer learning, team-based simulation games, real-world case studies, collaborative learning with industrial experts have been incorporated into the modules.
He has created a learning environment in which industry-immersive experience is involved.
For instance, In the Principle of Marketing module he taught at Newcastle University, a real-world project collaborating with an UK-based logistics company allows marketing students to co-develop the digital marketing campaign with the company, analyse the transaction data to optimise their service operations, and eventually help students synthesise and apply theoretical concepts into practices.
In the Business Analytics course (taught at Auburn University, USA), he and his students have collaborated with a local government to address societal challenges by collecting and analysing storm drain data to help the government prevent flood damage.
He is also very enthusiastic about using serious games (or simulation games) in the modules.
He has worked with Auburn University Samuel Ginn College of Engineering to develop serious game for students to learn engineering knowledge and skills.
This project was funded by National Science Foundation (NSF), USA (US$ 200,000).
His commitment and approach to teaching have been rewarded with the outstanding teaching evaluation in the most evaluation categories.
He was nominated for Teaching Excellent Awards in the category of global campus at Newcastle University in 2018.
He was made a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in 2018.
- PhD Supervision
Prospective PhD applicants and PhD students are welcome to make enquiries especially if you are interested in doing the research in the areas of social media marketing, sharing economy, big data analytics and healthcare information technologies.