Dr Sean Anderson
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
+44 114 222 5608
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
Dr Sean Anderson is a senior lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield; He received the MEng degree in Control Systems Engineering from the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, U.K., in 2001, and the PhD degree from the Department of Chemical and Process Engineering, University of Sheffield, in 2005.
He then moved to the Centre for Signal Processing in Neuroimaging and Systems Neuroscience at the Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, where he worked as a Research Associate from 2005-2010. He moved to the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering in 2010 where he is currently pursuing research themes in bioinspired robotics as well as adaptive and optimal control in biological systems.
- Research interests
- Linear, Nonliner and Spatiotemporal System Identification
- Robotics and Biomechatronics
- Theoretical Neuroscience and Computational Biology
- Research Associate in Complex Systems and Signal Processing Group, Dept of ACSE, Univ of Sheffield, 2010-2011.
- EU FP7 project "Biomimetic Technology for Vibrissal Active Touch" (Biotact), 2009-2010.
- EPSRC project "Functions of Distributed Plasticity in a Biologically-Inspired Adaptive Control Algorithm: From Electrophysiology to Robotics" (Eyerobot), 2005-2008.
- Linear system identification versus physical modeling of lateral-longitudinal vehicle dynamics. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Longitudinal vehicle dynamics : a comparison of physical and data-driven models under large-scale real-world driving conditions. IEEE Access, 8, 73714-73729. View this article in WRRO
- World statistics drive learning of cerebellar internal models in adaptive feedback control : a case study using the optokinetic reflex. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, 14(1). View this article in WRRO
- Sensorimotor maps can be dynamically calibrated using an adaptive-filter model of the cerebellum. PLoS Computational Biology, 15(7). View this article in WRRO
- Frequency-Domain Analysis for Nonlinear Systems With Time-Domain Model Parameter Uncertainty. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 64(5), 1905-1915. View this article in WRRO
- Sparse Bayesian Nonlinear System Identification using Variational Inference. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 63(12), 4172-4187. View this article in WRRO
- Simultaneous Force Regression and Movement Classification of Fingers via Surface EMG within a Unified Bayesian Framework. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 6(13). View this article in WRRO
- Integrating Brain and Biomechanical Models—A New Paradigm for Understanding Neuro-muscular Control. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 12, 1-33. View this article in WRRO
- Frequency and function in the basal ganglia: the origins of beta and gamma band activity. The Journal of Physiology, 595(13), 4525-4548. View this article in WRRO
- Target-distractor synchrony affects performance in a novel motor task for studying action selection.. PLoS One, 12(5), e0176945-e0176945. View this article in WRRO
- Constructing informative Bayesian map priors: A multi-objective optimisation approach applied to indoor occupancy grid mapping. The International Journal of Robotics Research, 36(3), 274-291. View this article in WRRO
- Cerebellar-inspired algorithm for adaptive control of nonlinear dielectric elastomer-based artificial muscle.. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 13(122). View this article in WRRO
- Spatiotemporal System Identification With Continuous Spatial Maps and Sparse Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 26(11), 2978-2983. View this article in WRRO
- Mechanics of mouse ocular motor plant quantified by optogenetic techniques. Journal of Neurophysiology, 114(3), 1455-1467. View this article in WRRO
- Control-focused, nonlinear and time-varying modelling of dielectric elastomer actuators with frequency response analysis. Smart Materials and Structures, 24(5). View this article in WRRO
- A zebrafish compound screen reveals modulation of neutrophil reverse migration as an anti-inflammatory mechanism.. Sci Transl Med, 6(225), 225ra29. View this article in WRRO
- An adaptive filter model of cerebellar zone C3 as a basis for safe limb control?. The Journal of Physiology, 591(22), 5459-5474. View this article in WRRO
- Adaptive filters and internal models: Multilevel description of cerebellar function. Neural Networks, 47, 134-149. View this article in WRRO
- PWE-062 Gastroscopy without a Gastroscope! Feasibility In a Porcine Model Using a Magnetic Capsule. Gut, 62(Suppl 1), a156.
- Computational system identification for Bayesian NARMAX modelling. Automatica, 49(9), 2641-2651.
- An internal model architecture for novelty detection: implications for cerebellar and collicular roles in sensory processing.. PLoS One, 7(9), e44560-e44560. View this article in WRRO
- Repelled from the wound, or randomly dispersed? Reverse migration behaviour of neutrophils characterized by dynamic modelling.. J R Soc Interface, 9(77), 3229-3239. View this article in WRRO
- A Data-Driven Framework for Identifying Nonlinear Dynamic Models of Genetic Parts. ACS SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY, 1(8), 375-384.
- The neutrophil's eye-view: Inference and visualisation of the chemoattractant field driving cell chemotaxis in vivo. PLoS ONE, 7(4). View this article in WRRO
- Drift-Diffusion Analysis of Neutrophil Migration during Inflammation Resolution in a Zebrafish Model.. Adv Hematol, 2012, 792163. View this article in WRRO
- Structure detection and parameter estimation for NARX models in a unified EM framework. Automatica.
- Nonlinear Dynamic Modeling of Isometric Force Production in Primate Eye Muscle. IEEE T BIO-MED ENG, 57(7), 1554-1567.
- Adaptive cancelation of self-generated sensory signals in a whisking robot. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 26(6), 1065-1076. View this article in WRRO
- An iterative Kalman smoother/least-squares algorithm for the identification of delta-ARX models. INT J SYST SCI, 41(7), 839-851.
- Cerebellar-inspired adaptive control of a robot eye actuated by pneumatic artificial muscles.. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern, 39(6), 1420-1433.
- Dynamics of primate oculomotor plant revealed by effects of abducens microstimulation.. J Neurophysiol, 101(6), 2907-2923.
- Predictive control of fast-sampled systems using the delta-operator. INT J SYST SCI, 40(7), 745-756.
- Maximum-likelihood estimation of delta-domain model parameters from noisy output signals. IEEE T SIGNAL PROCES, 56(8), 3765-3770. View this article in WRRO
- System identification from multiple short-time-duration signals.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 54(12), 2205-2213. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling and identification of non-linear deterministic systems in the delta-domain. AUTOMATICA, 43(11), 1859-1868. View this article in WRRO
- Multi-objective optimization of operational variables in a waste incineration plant. COMPUT CHEM ENG, 29(5), 1121-1130.
- Biohybrid Control of General Linear Systems Using the Adaptive Filter Model of Cerebellum. Frontiers in Neurorobotics, 9. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO A Temporal-to-Spatial Neural Network for Classification of Hand Movements from Electromyography Data.
- Feather-Inspired Sensor for Stabilizing Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Turbulent Conditions, Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems (pp. 230-241). Springer International Publishing
- The Robot Vibrissal System: Understanding Mammalian Sensorimotor Co-ordination Through Biomimetics, Sensorimotor Integration in the Whisker System (pp. 213-240). Springer New York View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Visual saliency with foveated images for fast object detection and recognition in mobile robots using low-power embedded GPUs. The Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Advanced Robotics (ICAR) (pp 773-778). Belo Horizonte, Brazil, 2 December 2019 - 6 December 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Foveated image processing for faster object detection and recognition in embedded systems using deep convolutional neural networks. Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems (pp 193-204), 9 July 2019 - 12 July 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Linear System Identification of Longitudinal Vehicle Dynamics Versus Nonlinear Physical Modelling. Proceedings of 2018 UKACC 12th International Conference on Control (CONTROL) (pp 146-151), 5 September 2018 - 7 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- A Data-Driven Framework for Identifying Tropical Wetland Model. 2018 UKACC 12th International Conference on Control (CONTROL), 5 September 2018 - 7 September 2018.
- Compact Deep Neural Networks for Computationally Efficient Gesture Classification From Electromyography Signals. 7th IEEE International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (Biorob), 26 August 2018 - 29 August 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Top-down bottom-up visual saliency for mobile robots using deep neural networks and task-independent feature maps. Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems, Vol. 10965 (pp 489-490), 25 July 2018 - 27 July 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Compact Deep Neural Networks for Computationally Efficient Gesture Classification From Electromyography Signals.. BioRob (pp 891-896)
- Exploiting dream-like simulation mechanisms to develop safer agents for automated driving: The “Dreams4Cars” EU research and innovation action. 2017 IEEE 20th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 16 October 2017 - 19 October 2017.
- Robot mapping and localisation in metal water pipes using hydrophone induced vibration and map alignment by dynamic time warping. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 29 May 2017 - 3 June 2017. View this article in WRRO
- PipeSLAM: Simultaneous localisation and mapping in feature sparse water pipes using the Rao-Blackwellised particle filter. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), 3 July 2017 - 7 July 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Person-specific gesture set selection for optimised movement classification from EMG signals. 2016 IEEE 38th Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) (pp 880-883), 16 August 2016 - 20 August 2016. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Robotic Mapping and Localisation in Feature Sparse Water Pipes. 19th World Conference on Non Destructive Testing, 13 March 2017 - 17 March 2017.
- Visual-tactile sensory map calibration of a biomimetic whiskered robot. 2016 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 16 May 2016 - 21 May 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Sparse Bayesian Identification of Polynomial NARX Models. IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 48(28) (pp 172-177)
- Robot Mapping and Localisation for Feature Sparse Water Pipes Using Voids as Landmarks (pp 161-166) View this article in WRRO
- Estimation of Fingertip Force from Surface EMG - A Multivariate Bayesian Mixture of Experts Approach. Proceedings of the International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing, 12 January 2015 - 15 January 2015.
- Constructing contextual SLAM priors using architectural drawings. 2015 6th International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Applications (ICARA), 17 February 2015 - 19 February 2015.
- Analysis of composite plate dynamics using spatial maps of frequency-domain features described by Gaussian processes. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 3(PART 1) (pp 949-954)
- Control-Oriented Nonlinear Dynamic Modelling of Dielectric Electro-Active Polymers (pp 259-260)
- Developing the Cerebellar Chip as a General Control Module for Autonomous Systems (pp 53-63)
- A Bayesian framework for identifying cell migration dynamics.. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, Vol. 2013 (pp 3455-3458). United States
- Bioinspired Adaptive Control for Artificial Muscles (pp 311-322)
- A Bayesian framework for identifying cell migration dynamics. 2013 35TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY (EMBC) (pp 3459-3462)
- Bioinspired adaptive control for artificial muscles. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 8064 LNAI (pp 311-322)
- Bioinspired control of electro-active polymers for next generation soft robots. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 7429 LNAI (pp 424-425) View this article in WRRO
- Exploration and control of stochastic spatiotemporal systems with mobile agents. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 44(1 PART 1) (pp 4489-4494)
- Can cerebellar input calibrate collicular topographic maps?. BMC Neuroscience, Vol. 11(S1)
Distributed SLAM. Signal Processing, Sensor Fusion, and Target Recognition XI Distributed data fusion over an ad hoc network. Battlespace Digitization and Network-Centric Warfare II SLAM in a van. Signal Processing, Sensor Fusion, and Target Recognition XI
- View this article in WRRO Topological Robot Localization in a Large-Scale Water Pipe Network. Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems - 21st Annual Conference, TAROS 2020, Nottingham, UK, Proceedings - TAROS 2020
- View this article in WRRO Robot mapping and localisation in metal water pipes using hydraphone induced vibration and map alignment by dynamic time warping. Proceedings of ICRA2017
- EU H2020, Dreams4Cars - Dreamlike Simulation Abilities for Automated Cars (Sheffield PI), Jan 2017-Dec 2019, EUR 4 million.
- EU FP7, NoTremor - Virtual, Physiological and Computational Neuromuscular Models for the Predictive Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease (CI), Jan 2014-Dec 2016, EUR 2.9 million.
- EPSRC, Assessing the Underworld - An integrated performance model of city infrastructures (EP/K021699/1) (CI), Jun 2013-May 2017, £5,782,838.
- EPSRC, Bioinspired Control of Electro-Active Polymers for Next Generation Soft Robots (EP/I032533/1) (CI), Jan 2012-Jul 2015, £1,081,051. http://www.bellaproject.co.uk/
Pilot Funding, Feasibility Studies and Equipment Grants
- Royal Society Equipment Grant, Oct 2013-Sep 2014, £15,000.
- Insigneo Bursary for Clinical Translation, funded by Sheffield Hospitals Charity Trust. Gastric Surface Mapping for Future Automated Approaches to Wireless Capsule Endoscopy of the Upper Gastrointestinal (GI) Tract, Dec 2013-Apr 2014, £15,500.
- Engineering for Life award, funded by the University of Sheffield. Towards a smart vest for sensing and actuation of wireless capsule endoscopes (PI), Oct 2012-Mar 2013, £31,741.
- Peninne Water Group, University of Sheffield. Developing ultrasound sensing technology to assess infrastructure and soil conditions external to buried pipes, Sep 2012-Jan 2013, £15,000.
- Teaching activities
- ACS124 Modelling, Analysis and Control
- ACS1241 Introduction to Systems Analysis and Control
- BIE101 Introduction to Bioengineering
- ACS340 Biomechatronics
- ACS6340 Biomechatronics