Dr Sarah Pollington BDS, MMedSci, MFDS RCPS, DipEd, PhD, FDS (Rest Dent) RCPS
Senior Clinical Teacher/ Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
Academic Unit of Restorative Dentistry
School of Clinical Dentistry
Sheffield, S10 2TA
Tel: 0114 271 7928
Fax: 0114 266 5326
Clinical Theme Leader for 1st BDS curriculum
Course Lead for 3rd Year Intermediate Restorative Skills Course
Course Lead for 4th Year Advanced Clinical Skills Course
4th BDS Restorative Clinical Coordinator
Bioengineering and Health Technologies Selector
Committee and Working Parties: Chair of 3rd Year Working Party, Teaching Committee, 1st Year Working Party, Postgraduate Research Committee, IODC and ICP Theme Group member
National Administrative Role
MFDS Part 1 MSA Lead Examiner
External examinership for MFDS (Glasgow)
Clinical panel member for the Dental Complaints Service
Editorial board member of Operative Dentistry
Reviewer for Dental Materials, Operative Dentistry, Journal of Dentistry, Acta Odontologica Scandinavia, European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry
My main teaching activities include:
Clinical and laboratory teaching of undergraduate BDS dental students
Clinical teaching of post-graduate taught (DClinDent) students
Student research project supervision including Masters and PhD projects
My main fields of research include ceramics and adhesive dentistry and I am an active member of the Oral Biomaterials Research Group at the School of Clinical Dentistry since 2002. I am involved in the development of novel glass-ceramics including manufacture and characterisation of various ceramics for use as indirect CAD/CAM core restorative materials and veneering ceramics. This work has concentrated on the production of materials with improved strength and durability. Other areas of research are the integrity of structurally compromised restored teeth and the clinical evaluation of restorative systems.
2014-21. Abdul-Rahman Elmougy - The applicability of PEKK in crowns for posterior teeth
2013-2017. Omar Alsadon - Evaluating PEKK as a prosthodontic restorative material
2007-2011. Pannapa Sinthuprasirt - Development of a multiple phase structure ceramic veneer
UK Patent Application No 0811616.2; Fluorcanasite Glass Ceramic for Dental Crowns; University of Sheffield (Pollington S, van Noort R)
UK Patent Application 29055; High Strength Ceramic Veneer; University of Sheffield (van Noort R, Sinthuprasirt P, Pollington S, El-Meliegy E)
- Elmougy A, Muñoz-Schiemann A, Wood D, Pollington S & Martin N (2018) Characterisation of machinable structural polymers in restorative dentistry. Dental Materials. View this article in WRRO
- ALSADON O, PATRICK D, JOHNSON A, POLLINGTON S & WOOD D (2017) Fracture resistance of zirconia-composite veneered crowns in comparison with zirconia-porcelain crowns. Dental Materials Journal, 36(3), 289-295. View this article in WRRO
- ABDULLAH AO, TSITROU EA & POLLINGTON S (2016) Comparative in vitro evaluation of CAD/CAM vs conventional provisional crowns. Journal of Applied Oral Science, 24(3), 258-263. View this article in WRRO
- Muhammed FK, Moorehead R, van Noort R & Pollington S (2015) Factors controlling crystallization of miserite glass-ceramic. Dental Materials, 31(12), 1469-1473.
- Sinthuprasirt P, van Noort R, Moorehead R & Pollington S (2015) Evaluation of a novel multiple phase veneering ceramic. Dental Materials, 31(4), 443-452.
- Skouridou N, Pollington S, Rosentritt M & Tsitrou E (2013) Fracture strength of minimally prepared all-ceramic CEREC crowns after simulating 5 years of service.. Dent Mater, 29(6), e70-e77.
- Johnson A, Sinthuprasirt P, Fathi H & Pollington S (2013) Current glass-ceramic systems used in dentistry, 49-72.
- Pollington S & van Noort R (2012) Manufacture, characterisation and properties of novel fluorcanasite glass-ceramics.. J Dent, 40(11), 1006-1017.
- Pollington S & van Noort R (2011) An update of ceramics in dentistry, 3-27.
- Pollington S (2011) Novel glass-ceramics for dental restorations.. J Contemp Dent Pract, 12(1), 60-67.
- Fabianelli A, Sgarr A, Goracci C, Cantoro A, Pollington S & Ferrari M (2010) Microleakage in Class II Restorations: Open vs Closed Centripetal Build-up Technique (vol 35, pg 308, 2010). OPER DENT, 35(4), 487-487.
- Pollington S, Fabianelli A & van Noort R (2010) Microtensile bond strength of a resin cement to a novel fluorcanasite glass-ceramic following different surface treatments.. Dent Mater, 26(9), 864-872.
- Fabianelli A, Pollington S, Papacchini F, Goracci C, Cantoro A, Ferrari M & van Noort R (2010) The effect of different surface treatments on bond strength between leucite reinforced feldspathic ceramic and composite resin.. J Dent, 38(1), 39-43.
- Fabianelli A, Sgarr A, Goracci C, Cantora A, Pollington S & Ferrari M (2010) Erratum: Microleakage in class II restorations: Open vs closed centripetal build-up technique (Operative Dentistry (2010) 35:3 (308-313). Operative Dentistry, 35(4), 487.
- Pollington S, Kahakachchi N & van Noort R (2009) The influence of plastic light cure sheaths on the hardness of resin composite.. Oper Dent, 34(6), 741-745.
- Pollington S (2009) Dental ceramics: A review of modern materials and technologies, 1-25.
- Pollington S & Van Noort R (2009) An update of ceramics in dentistry. International Journal of Clinical Dentistry, 2(4), 283-307.
- Rawlinson A, Pollington S, Walsh TF, Lamb DJ, Marlow I, Haywood J & Wright P (2008) Efficacy of two alcohol-free cetylpyridinium chloride mouthwashes - a randomized double-blind crossover study.. J Clin Periodontol, 35(3), 230-235.
- Pollington S & van Noort R (2008) A clinical evaluation of a resin composite and a compomer in non-carious Class V lesions. A 3-year follow-up.. Am J Dent, 21(1), 49-52.
- Pollington S, Green V, Walsh TF & Cannavina G (2003) The incidence of violence by patients to health professionals in a dental hospital.. J DENT RES, 82, B69-B69.
- Tsitrou E, Pollington S & Van Noort R (2003) Evaluation of the marginal fit of three margin designs of resin composite crowns using CAD/CAM.. J DENT RES, 82, B202-B202.
- Pollington S & Van Noort R (2002) The relative clinical performance of compomer and resin composite restorations in non-carious cervical lesions using a self-etching dentin primer.. J DENT RES, 81, A81-A81.