I joined the University of Sheffield as a Lecturer in August 2016. Before coming to the University of Sheffield I lectured at the University of Edinburgh, University of Michigan and Aix-Marseille University Law Schools. My teaching and research is in the fields of Environmental and European Law.
My latest research examines regulatory responses to the societal impact (broadly defined) of new technologies. My interests cover the multitude of issues related to risk regulation, agriculture and food law, as well as to environmental governance in the EU and the international context.
- PhD in European Law, Aix-Marseille University;
- MA in European and International Law, Aix-Marseille University;
- BA (hons), University Picardy Jules Vernes.
Teaching and Learning
There is never one truth in law, in particular when looking at issues as complex as, for example, Brexit, the fight against climate change or the reduction of chemical pollution. In order to understand the issues at stake, a good lawyer must be able to handle law in context. She must develop acute analytical and critical skills to assess how the law is currently, could be and should be implemented. Finally, she must gain excellent oral and written communication skills to express her conclusions efficiently.
My teaching methods aim at giving students the confidence and means to exercise these skills by encouraging them to apply critical analysis to complex issues and sharing insights from my own research.
In the French Law modules that I teach I aim at building the students understanding of French legal culture while simultaneously familiarising them with the French style of teaching and learning applied in French Law Schools. Benefitting from limited class sizes, students gain confidence in their capacity to shine abroad and to become assertive, team oriented and international lawyers.
The modules I teach are:
|French Legal Terminology|
|French Administrative Law|
|French Private Law|
- Environmental Law and Policy
- Risk Regulation
- European Law and governance
- US/EU relations
Areas of Research Supervision
- European Environmental Law, in particular related to agriculture, food and pollution control;
- Risk Regulation;
- Legal reflection on Environmental governance & instruments;
- Global Environmental Law/ Transnational Environmental Law
Recent Invited Papers and Keynote Lectures
- Topic – Genetically Modified Organisms
European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) Interdisciplinary 8th Pan-European Conference on the European Union. Paper: ‘Exploring Untamed Territory: Initial Reflections on Scotland’s Approach to the Possibility of National GMO Opt-Outs’ (2016)
- Topic – The Protection of Bees against Chemicals
Franco-British Legal Association Annual Colloquium ‘Environmental Law’, Edinburgh (2015).
- Topic – Environmental Law Clinics
Rovira i Virgili University (Tarragona, Spain) ‘IUCN Annual Colloquium’ (2014).
- Topic – TTIP (Chair of panel)
University of Edinburgh, ‘Sixth Annual Caplin Conference on the World Economy. TTIP, A Multilateral Perspective’ (2014).
|Title/Description:||Michigan Grotius Fellowship|
|Awarding Body:||University of Michigan Law School|
|People Involved:||A J Roger|
|Title/Description:||Climate Change and enterprises|
|People Involved:||Collective research|
|People Involved:||A J Roger|
Professional Activities and Recognition
Membership in Learned Societies
- UKELA (UK Environmental Law Association)
- EELF (European Environmental Law Forum)
Frequent reviewer for the European Journal of Risk Regulation
- Free Legal Advice – Edinburgh Environmental Law Clinic Jan. 2016 – May 2016
- Legal Consultant / Expert for the European Parliament (With Milieu Ltd) April 2015 - Current
- Legal Consultant for the French Ministry for Environmental Protection Fall 2011
- Roger AJ & Truilhé-Marengo E (2015) Droit de l'environnement de l'Union européenne.
- Roger A (2010) L'action environnementale extérieure de l'UE Les accords mixtes. Editions L'Harmattan.
- Roger AJ (2015) In the Public Interest? A Comparative Analysis of Norway and EU GMO Regulations. Review of European, Comparative and International Environmental Law, 24(3), 264-277. View this article in WRRO
- Roger AJ (2014) La transplantation des accords environnementaux dans l’ordre juridique de l’Union européenne. Le modèle contractuel revisité In Hautereau-Boutonnet M (Ed.), Le contrat et l'environnement Presses Universitaires d'Aix-Marseille - P.U.A.M. View this article in WRRO
- Roger AJ (2011) Corégulation et politique climatique de l'Union européenne: Le rôle des accords environnementaux In Roger A & Maljean-Dubois S (Ed.), L'implication des entreprises dans les politiques climatiques
- Roger AJ () Endocrine Disrupting Chemical Wars: the saga continues.. View this article in WRRO